Addiscombe East is represented by Labour Councillor, Maddie Henson.
Key landmarks in Addiscombe East are Ashburton Learning Village, Ashburton Hall, The Oasis Academy, St. Mildred’s community centre and Our Lady church. Green space can be found at Ashburton Park and Bingham Rec.
The ward covers the centre of the Addiscombe community area running from the East India Preservation area along the Lower Addiscombe Road, taking in roads on both sides, to Ashburton Park. The ward is the most marginal in Croydon with Labour only just missing out on the second Addiscombe East seat by eight votes.
Issues facing the ward include:
- Traffic using residential roads as a cut-through
- New Swing Park
- Starting a Business Improvement District for Lower Addiscombe Road
Maddie holds here surgeries at the following times:
First Tuesday of every month 6.00pm – 7.00pm (except August)
Cedar Room, St Mildred’s Centre, 30 Binham Road CR0 7TQ
Did you know?
- In 1866, part of Stroud Green Farm, in the Ashburton and Woodside areas, was leased as a race course and for many years crowds flocked there on race days.
- Ashburton Park is on the site of the Woodside Convent. The original mansion was built in 1788 and became the property of Father Tooth in 1878, when it was then used as a convent, orphanage and chapel up until 1924.
- The Ashburton Learning Village consists of a secondary school, library and community facilities and is the borough’s first education Private Finance Initiative (PFI) development.